Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quotes, Idioms, Proverbs and Discussions  (Read 61249 times)

11 Tháng Tám, 2006, 06:03:36 PM
Reply #15
  • Thành viên box Hóa ~ Sư phụ ~ Yuna's lover
  • Thành viên OlympiaVN
  • Điểm bài viết: 1
Oh right. Great example.
But can you show me an examplary person who focus ( error again :D ? ) on his weaknesses?

12 Tháng Tám, 2006, 11:22:22 AM
Reply #16
  • Thành viên OlympiaVN
  • Điểm bài viết: 0
  • All-around fansuber
Assuming that Mozard focused on chemist and Anhxtanh forcused on music, what would happend ?
It's clear that they wouldn't be great and well-known all over the world. So, we should concentrate on our strengths, not on our weaknesses, Because of with great passion and ability, only can you get success. 
lol, who know what would happen? maybe they'd be even greater  ;)
how can u say "it's clear" w/o any evidences? fail  =))

I only want to say, if a person, as a human-being, know what's his weakness, he'd never "focus" on it.
Even if he think he know, who know if he really know =))

A bit sad, no one said about mine  :(

14 Tháng Tám, 2006, 03:27:33 PM
Reply #17
  • Thành viên OlympiaVN
  • Điểm bài viết: 4
  • I love you with every single beat of my heart...
    • Kho sách hay
Tui xin có vài Idiom góp vui:

+ Be on the ball: Đứng lên (và đi)

+ 24-7: Bất cứ lúc nào

+ An arm and a leg: Một khoản tiền lớn, thường nói về giá trị của một thứ gì đó.

+ In the red: Bản quyết toán về một tài khoản hay ngân quỹ bị thâm hụt.

+All ears: Háo hức lắng nghe.

+ Eat like a birf: Ăn rất từ tốn và rất ít thức ăn

+ Money talks: Nói về việc tiền bạc có thể ảnh hưởng đến con người.

+ Once in the blue moon: Ngàn năm có một

+ Sitting duck: Người dễ bị kẻ thù lấy làm mục tiêu tấn công.

14 Tháng Tám, 2006, 03:53:46 PM
Reply #18
  • Thành viên OlympiaVN
  • Điểm bài viết: 0
Thanks for giving your own ideas, but i still think of what would happend to them is right.
Everyone know how boring it is when worrking in a "left-hand" job. You might have met some people who gave up the jobs that we couldn't bilieve in. If you ask them " Why you are so stupid to give up such a good job like that ?" their answer is maybe " This is not my field, my strength to focus on". They might be a little worried at first, but this kind of person is not dificult to get success. They really know what they should do.
What would happend to anothers ( i mean the "willing-to-work-in-left-hand-job persons) ? Surely, they are often fed up with their job at the beginning. Why ? It is simple, they are not good at that field, they make themselves work under pressure. So, like is hard for them. 

General speaking, "Everyone is great, except in his own field". And you can wonder why we donn't improve our weaknesses. Yes, you are certainly rational when saying so. But please remember that we are talking about finding out strength to forcus, not make ourselves be perfect.
Thanks all of you. We'll continue if you want.
Ah, i must say a thing " Discussing is very difirent from arguing. Discussing gives what is right, this is good. But an argument means that everyone tries to prove he is right, although he could be wrong".

15 Tháng Tám, 2006, 09:23:24 AM
Reply #19
  • Trưởng ban Ngoại Giao
  • Mod trưởng
  • Điểm bài viết: 70
  • Trung tâm Kiểm soát bệnh tật Quảng Bình
    • Trần Quang Sơn
no pain, no gain
Meanings:
to improve, exercise until your muscles ache 

A sign on our gym wall reads No Pain, No Gain!

15 Tháng Tám, 2006, 09:25:51 AM
Reply #20
  • Trưởng ban Ngoại Giao
  • Mod trưởng
    • Trần Quang Sơn
A stitch in time saves nine means that if a job needs doing it is better to do it now, because it will only get worse, like a hole in clothes that requires stitching.

A Stitch In Time là câu rút ngắn của thành ngữ “A Stitch In Time Saves Nine” có nghĩa là một việc chữa chạy kịp thời sẽ tránh được khỏi mất nhiều công về sau này. Nó có thể đã xuất xứ từ việc một người phải vá một lỗ thủng nhỏ trên áo trước khi lỗ này rách to hơn và khó sửa hơn. Anh bạn chúng ta dùng phương pháp chữa trị sớm này đối với chiếc xe ôtô cũ của anh ấy

15 Tháng Tám, 2006, 09:27:58 AM
Reply #21
  • Trưởng ban Ngoại Giao
  • Mod trưởng
    • Trần Quang Sơn
men tell no tales ___

* thành ngữ dead

dead men tell no tales
         . người chết thì không còn tiết lộ bí mật được nữa

15 Tháng Tám, 2006, 09:30:05 AM
Reply #22
  • Trưởng ban Ngoại Giao
  • Mod trưởng
    • Trần Quang Sơn
First come, first served.
something that you say which means that the people who ask for something first will be the ones who get it, when there is not enough for everyone. We've got ten cheap computers on offer. It's first come, first served.

15 Tháng Tám, 2006, 02:40:26 PM
Reply #23
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
  • Điểm bài viết: 2
  • EGO Superboy
to SOS_dan :I absolutely agree with kelangthang. As we know : “ no one is perfect   “ right ? so u should not criticize the others like this :"It contains a ton of small errors - a bit too much"  [-X

Anyway , we are here to learn more so if u wanna help SO  realize their mistakes ,u should mention them in a polite way in order not to hurt anyone  ok ? and maybe I’m not as good as u are ,but I just wanna express my opinion and I don’t know whether u will accept it or not  .It’s up to u ! ;)
 super boy ! [-(

15 Tháng Tám, 2006, 03:04:51 PM
Reply #24
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
  • Điểm bài viết: 7
  • EGO Blue Dragon - PRO8 Team Member
:))  "look at yourself," that should mean something. Why do you have to wait for other people to point out the error for you??? you don't have that ability? Yes, you do! What's happened when you don't have people to check it for you?
American might be afraid of showing others' mistakes because they don't want to offend others. But it's not my way to live.

You know what? When I type every thread, I always consider who I am writing to. If that person is okay in my opinion, I will care whether they see what I write or not; otherwise, why should I care???

okay, if you want me to show your mistakes, I have no reason to refuse.
- "When we choose doing st, we gain some & loss some.": I am not sure that this is a typo or not. "loss" is a noun; here you use it as a verb.
- "That's what it is when u'r choosing ur path " Is it more suitable if you use "how it is" instead?
- "it's group of ppl with more power, or the majority, would decide it" Did you recognize that there are 2 main verbs in the sentence?
- "the more ppl would think what u said are right":  "what you said" is a singular noun, no matter how much you said.

PS: an essay of 4.5 or 5.0 is still lower than an essay of 6 :)).
« Last Edit: 20 Tháng Tám, 2006, 12:31:05 AM by kelangthang »

16 Tháng Tám, 2006, 02:52:05 PM
Reply #25
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
I will introduce some idioms that beginwith "keep"

- Keep your eyes peeled: be on the look or alert. It is just like the orange, potatoes,... become more usefull or better if they are peeled.

16 Tháng Tám, 2006, 02:54:24 PM
Reply #26
  • Trưởng ban Ngoại Giao
  • Mod trưởng
    • Trần Quang Sơn
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -
Hunter S. Thompson

You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Mahatma Gandhi

we can only love what we know and we can never know completely what we do not love -Aldous Huxley

17 Tháng Tám, 2006, 03:40:25 AM
Reply #27
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
@ Quiz:  Whose quote is this? (no searching in the internet) 10 points for whoever knows this. This is a very famous quote by one of the famous Presidents of the US.

Don't ask what the country've done for you, ask what you've done for the country....

@ Continue on "keep" idioms:
- Keep your fingers crossed: to hope that something spoken, thought of or put in train will succeed, or that nothing will happen to make it fail; wish me luck.

17 Tháng Tám, 2006, 09:00:33 AM
Reply #28
  • Trưởng ban Ngoại Giao
  • Mod trưởng
    • Trần Quang Sơn
@ Quiz:  Whose quote is this? (no searching in the internet) 10 points for whoever knows this. This is a very famous quote by one of the famous Presidents of the US.

Don't ask what the country've done for you, ask what you've done for the country....

JFK- John Kenedy

17 Tháng Tám, 2006, 03:07:28 PM
Reply #29
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
@Quiz: exactly, 10 points (did you look it up on the net? ) except for the spelling error : Kennedy.

@Continue on "keep" idioms:
- Keep the ball rolling: keep a conversation going by asking or mentioning more subjects