Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: beware of it: homesickness  (Read 5535 times)

17 Tháng Mười, 2006, 03:11:59 PM
To oversea students from all over the world:

we r diferent.
we live in many nations
some may be old-fashioned
some may want to have a lot o f fun
but we all have one thing in common...
---------------->That is Homesickness<-----------------

hi everybody. My name is To Nhu. I've just left for the US for 2 months. At the beginning I used to think that Homesickness is just a small problem that I could easily overcome. But now look at what gonna happens: I miss my family, my friends and my little dog. I MISS VIETNAM and I miss PHO. Can anyone who has the same experience help me get out of thiis feeling?How can I deal with this problem? I gonna cry now.......... :((

To going-to-be oversea students:

beware of homesickness
it doesn't happen only to kids
everybody hates it
but it's a part of what makes you succeed

17 Tháng Mười, 2006, 08:08:33 PM
Reply #1
  • Thành viên OlympiaVN
  • Điểm bài viết: 6
What a surprise! You have the same avatar as me? :D/
Have you left for America for 2 months?That's great.
I hope that I may go to America someday not only for oversea study but also research on American Culture.
I wish I would meet you at a time somewhere in USA.
Don't be homesick.You can eventually talk and see your family by using Internet Service. :D/

18 Tháng Mười, 2006, 01:55:26 PM
Reply #2
What a surprise! You have the same avatar as me? :D/
Have you left for America for 2 months?That's great.
I hope that I may go to America someday not only for oversea study but also research on American Culture.
I wish I would meet you at a time somewhere in USA.
Don't be homesick.You can eventually talk and see your family by using Internet Service. :D/

hi Giottim! nice to meet you!
That's so great that you want to do research on American culture. It's very lucky of me to study in an international school where I am ofered a lot of opportunity to learn about other countries' culture. Have you ever heard of the United World College of the American West? That's my school. It's an international school which offer students from all over the world full scholarships to persue the international baccalaureate diploma. Therefore I'm extremely interested in American culture. Are you in the US now? If so do you get culture-shocked? I did. Hope we can share more experience with each other. Nos vemos!
P.S: can u tell me a little bit about yourself?

18 Tháng Mười, 2006, 07:51:07 PM
Reply #3
  • Trưởng ban Ngoại Giao
  • Mod trưởng
  • Điểm bài viết: 70
  • Ban thanh thiếu niên (VTV6)
    • Trần Quang Sơn
Are there any Asian stutent in your school?
I've just known about Havard or Yale.That's all I know.Would you mind telling us about your studying and life in America?What's the difference between "Vietnamese Education" and "American Education"?

19 Tháng Mười, 2006, 04:44:09 AM
Reply #4
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
  • Điểm bài viết: 2
  • EGO Superboy
hullo TNQ maybe i don't know u , but i'm in the same case with u . I've just left VN for 1 month , less than u ,but i miss my family so much !!!
I also wanna say this to u : " try ur best to overcome those feelings , everytime  u feel lonely and sad , think about ur family , ur friends and ur country , those will help u to overcome sadness and give u energy to continue !!!
PS : u can share with me  ;)
« Last Edit: 19 Tháng Mười, 2006, 12:43:12 PM by mercury1112 »

22 Tháng Mười, 2006, 03:19:45 PM
Reply #5
Are there any Asian stutent in your school?
I've just known about Havard or Yale.That's all I know.Would you mind telling us about your studying and life in America?What's the difference between "Vietnamese Education" and "American Education"?

United World College of the American West is a 2 year high school. Have you ever heard of Andriatic United World College in Italy where Chi Thu Phuong-Second best Olympian in 2003 (or so I don't remmember well) studied. It's not a university yet<I'm 17 this Aug, not old enough to get marriage^^...j/k>. There are nearly 200 students in my school and 1/5 of them are Asian. In the school I have a group of Asian friends from China, Indonesia, East Timor, Cambodia and Thailand. We have a lot of fun together.:)
Vietnamese education is quite different from American one. It is not what to learn, but how to learn that makes up the importance. I think that is the most difference between them. The students here are very active and we have to make presentations, write esseys, conduct mini surveys and do researchs all the time. Outside the class we are offered a wide range of activities called CAS, which stands for Creativity, Action and Service. If anyone has interests, this is my school website:http://www.uwc-usa.org/

Here are my impressions about American life. I did get culture-shocked in the first several weeks:
-In American, children get sexual education before they learn how to drive a bicycle.

-99% American think that if you r Asian, you know Kungfu.

-Not all Vietnamese work in the nail salons, but all nail salons are Vietnamese!!!

-Never buy a ticket for a movie if it is titled "children under 17 have to be accompanied by their parents" or something like that<although u r over 17>. (for e.g. Jackass)

-There is a Gay Straight Alliance club in my school.

-Mexican food is NOT good.
[/color]

22 Tháng Mười, 2006, 03:24:10 PM
Reply #6
hullo TNQ maybe i don't know u , but i'm in the same case with u . I've just left VN for 1 month , less than u ,but i miss my family so much !!!
I also wanna say this to u : " try ur best to overcome those feelings , everytime  u feel lonely and sad , think about ur family , ur friends and ur country , those will help u to overcome sadness and give u energy to continue !!!
PS : u can share with me  ;)
Thank you very much Mercury. I feel better now. I think the best way to overcome homesickness is to keep ourselves busy, share our feeling with someone, especially ur countrymate. I love VIETNAM

23 Tháng Mười, 2006, 02:03:40 AM
Reply #7
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
  • EGO Superboy
I absolutely agree with u ,  ;) we should keep ourselves busy in order not to think of ST sad , lonely and so on . U r older than me so maybe u have more experience than me , but we can share our opinion right ?  :D so keep in touch !
PS : can u gimme ur YH nick , we can talk more ! :)>-

23 Tháng Mười, 2006, 04:50:24 AM
Reply #8
My nickname is: tinysunbl@yahoo.com
I'm not on yahoo mesenger vẻry often, but we can keep in touch through MSN or through e-mail. By the way, which state r u in? Looking forward to hearing from u*)

23 Tháng Mười, 2006, 05:11:28 AM
Reply #9
  • Cựu thành viên BĐH
  • EGO Superboy
Hullo i'm in WA state now, and u ?  ah i 'll keep in touch with u , so we can talk more through e-mail or YHM okie ? i added ur YH nick already . Ah do u have anything new to share with everybody here ? :D